“The Wedding Feast!”
Have you ever played the game, “Would you rather?” It’s a great discussion starter; for example:
- Would you rather only be able to whisper or only be able to shout?
- Would you rather wrestle a bear or an alligator?
- Would you rather have to dress all in bright orange or all in lime green for the rest of your life?
- Would you rather be invited to a big supper as a guest of honor, or as the main course?
A. An invitation to supper you WANT. The Wedding Supper of the Lamb.
1. The Marriage Supper.
Revelation 19:6-8, Then I heard what seemed to be the voice of a great multitude, like the roar of many waters and like the sound of mighty peals of thunder, crying out, “Hallelujah! For the Lord our God the Almighty reigns. 7 Let us rejoice and exult and give him the glory, for the marriage of the Lamb has come, and his Bride has made herself ready; 8 it was granted her to clothe herself with fine linen, bright and pure”— for the fine linen is the righteous deeds of the saints.
Great will be the rejoicing. Great will be the exultation. There will be no limit to the glory given to the Father through the Son on that great day:
- Never has a bridegroom done more to qualify his beloved to be his bride.
- Never has a bride needed her bridegroom more.
- Never has there been a wedding more significant than this one.
- Never has a prince with more authority taken a bride with less standing.
- Never has a bride had her prince die for her, rise from the dead for her, and give to her his own standing before the Father.
- Never has a bridegroom loved his bride more.
- Never has a bride waited as long for her bridegroom.
- Never has a bride sung more songs to her beloved.
- Never has there been a wedding with more guests than this one will have.
- Never has a wedding taken place on a more momentous occasion—the end of the overlapping ages and the ushering in of the kingdom.
- Never has there been a marriage like this one.
2. Blessed are the invited. (You, for example)
Revelation 19:9, And the angel said to me, “Write this: Blessed are those who are invited to the marriage supper of the Lamb.” And he said to me, “These are the true words of God.”
What would life be like if we knew, really knew, that such a bridegroom was coming for us?
ILLY: “Save the Date” for THIS supper! Hey, I got a cool “save the date” this week: Jesse Dinger, August 8.
3. Believers are honored guests.
Revelation 19:10, Then I fell down at his feet to worship him, but he said, “No, don’t worship me. I am a servant of God, just like you and your brothers and sisters who testify about their faith in Jesus. Worship only God. For the essence of prophecy is to give a clear witness for Jesus.”
B. An invitation to supper you do NOT want. The Great Supper of God.
1. Behold, the General!
Revelation 19:11-13, Then I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse! The one sitting on it is called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he judges and makes war. 12 His eyes are like a flame of fire, and on his head are many diadems, and he has a name written that no one knows but himself. 13 He is clothed in a robe dipped in blood, and the name by which he is called is The Word of God.
2. A Mighty Army!
Revelation 19:14, And the armies of heaven, arrayed in fine linen, white and pure, were following him on white horses.
3. A Promise Fulfilled.
Revelation 19:15-16, From his mouth comes a sharp sword with which to strike down the nations, and he will rule them with a rod of iron. He will tread the winepress of the fury of the wrath of God the Almighty. 16 On his robe and on his thigh he has a name written, King of kings and Lord of lords.
4. The Audience.
Revelation 19:17-18, Then I saw an angel standing in the sun, and with a loud voice he called to all the birds that fly directly overhead, “Come, gather for the great supper of God, 18 to eat the flesh of kings, the flesh of captains, the flesh of mighty men, the flesh of horses and their riders, and the flesh of all men, both free and slave, both small and great.”
5. The Opposing Army.
Revelation 19:19, And I saw the beast and the kings of the earth with their armies gathered to make war against him who was sitting on the horse and against his army.
6. Justice Accomplished.
Revelation 19:20-21, And the beast was captured, and with it the false prophet who in its presence had done the signs by which he deceived those who had received the mark of the beast and those who worshiped its image. These two were thrown alive into the lake of fire that burns with sulfur. 21 And the rest were slain by the sword that came from the mouth of him who was sitting on the horse, and all the birds were gorged with their flesh.
MAIN POINT: it’s important to accept the right invitation to supper!
A closing prayer … “Dear God, we know You are an inviting God who wants the Table of Celebration to be full. We know You are a God who seeks and enforces justice. Thank You for the hope we’ve seen today. We want to be an honored guest at the Wedding Supper of the Lamb. In Jesus’ name, amen.”