“What Can We Expect for Eternity?”
How long is eternity? Let’s suppose each “dot” on this paper represents one lifetime. There’s 1,000 dots on this paper. One thousand lifetimes. 10 papers, 10,000 lifetimes. Let’s lay these papers side-by-side all the way to the Wal*Mart parking lot. That would be 11,250 papers … Eleven MILLION lifetimes. Eternity would be like laying these papers down all the way to the Wal*Mart in Miami, Florida. Which would be just a blink in eternity. So, we better know what to expect.
Revelation 21:2, Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the old heaven and the old earth had disappeared. And the sea was also gone. 2 And I saw the holy city, the new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven like a bride beautifully dressed for her husband.
- Removed: Disappeared >> Melted and remade!
- Replaced: Life as we know it is replaced with Eternal Life.
- Renewed: The Holy City arrives like a bride walking down the aisle.
Revelation 21:3, I heard a loud shout from the throne, saying, “Look, God’s home is now among his people! He will live with them, and they will be his people. God himself will be with them.
- Palace: God’s home is now our home! Loneliness, that sense of abandonment … gone forever.
- Possession: We are His!
- Presence: The immediate Presence of God is His original intent, back to The Garden.
Revelation 21:4, He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death or sorrow or crying or pain. All these things are gone forever.” 5 And the one sitting on the throne said, “Look, I am making everything new!” And then he said to me, “Write this down, for what I tell you is trustworthy and true.”
- Wiped away: Tears and their causes are vanished.
- Work in progress: I am making everything new, a complete renovation and restoration project.
- Written truth: It’s worth remembering and passing along unchanged.
Revelation 21:6, And he also said, “It is finished! I am the Alpha and the Omega—the Beginning and the End. To all who are thirsty I will give freely from the springs of the water of life.”
ILLY: Is there “drinking” in heaven? YES!
- Finished forever: Finally finished … the work on the cross (John 19:30) comes to it’s intended result.
- Fulfilled: Alpha and Omega … first and last … from beginning to end!
- Furnished: A new kind of water … the water of Life.
Revelation 21:7, All who are victorious will inherit all these blessings, and I will be their God, and they will be my children.
- Inspired: The kind of victory here is the one who is inspired to keep going through the finish line. Persistence, courage, endurance … Victory!
- Inherited: Blessings upon blessings … based entirely on relationship with God.
- Included: We are welcomed into God’s forever family.
WARNING: Revelation 21:8, “But cowards, unbelievers, the corrupt, murderers, the immoral, those who practice witchcraft, idol worshipers, and all liars—their fate is in the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death.”
MAIN POINT: We were made to live in harmony with God now, and for eternity!
ILLY: “You were made for this!” Younglife logo.
A closing prayer … “Dear God, thank You for making us fit for heaven through Your Son, Jesus. Amen!”